The Eduardo Mondlane University (EMU) was founded on August 21, 1962, under the name of General Studies College of Mozambique. In 1968 rose to the rank of University, and then called the University of Lourenço Marques (ULM). While still a young University is the oldest and for a long time, the only one in Mozambique. From 1976 to ULM shall be known as the University Eduardo Mondlane.
The Eduardo Mondlane University strives to be an institution of excellence in the context of education, science, culture and technology, educating for life that enables professionals and assuming responsibilities in the process of innovation and knowledge transfer and sustainable development .
The Eduardo Mondlane University works for the integration and affirmation in the worldwide scientific community and as agent and object of change and transformation in society. To fulfill this mission, the University is guided by the following principles and purposes:
- Efficient management in the context of university autonomy;
- Democratic practice, respecting the intellectual independence and academic freedom;
- Development, enhancement and rational use of its resources, both human and material;
- Constant adjustment of curricula to the advances of science and technology and national and regional realities;
- Reflecting the needs and perspectives of national and regional development in research, extension and education;
- Increase in the number of tickets and fees for academic success and graduate, through the development of new teaching methods and assessment;
- Support and cooperation with other levels of the National Education System;
- Ensuring fairness in all actions with respect for cultural, ethnic, racial, religious and gender;
- That the economic and social condition does not pose a limitation to access to their courses;
- Promotion of civic education, ethics and society;
- Promoting the spirit of academic, critical and scientific as well as professional pride;
- Intensification of cooperation and liaison with the national productive sector and the community;
- Strengthening and enlargement of regional and international cooperation.